St James the Great, Dollar.
Although this year St James’s congregation will celebrate the 130th anniversary of the church’s opening, an Episcopal congregation began worshipping in Dollar in April 1863. At first, services, taken by the Reverend A.W. Hallam, Rector of St John’s, Alloa, were held in Tait House, Dollar Academy, but in November 1863, thanks to the kindness of the Deacons’ Court of the Free Church (later the West Church, now converted into houses) the congregation was able to use the Free Church on Sunday afternoons. Early in 1864, part of the newly-built Atheneum (latterly the Strathallan Hotel, now converted into flats) was offered for the congregation’s use, and they worshipped there until 1882. Land for the church was given by Sir James Orr of Harviestoun and the building was designed by Alloa architect Thomas Frame and Son. Work began in the autumn of 1879 but was halted on 28th December that year, the night of the Tay Bridge Disaster, when the storm caused the main gable to collapse. Because of financial constraints, building did not resume until 1881 and was completed by July 9th 1882, when the church was consecrated; the vestry was added in 1934 and the porch, designed by local architect Colin Campbell, in 1957.